Don Wettrick is President of the StartEdUp Foundation, where he and his team are on a mission to help students 14-18 develop and nurture an entrepreneurial mindset.
It has been anything but a direct path for this award winning middle school and high school teacher who decided to step away from the classroom after more than two decades. He puts the blame on Gary Vee, who challenged Don to see the world as his classroom.
The origins of the STARTedUP Foundation evolved from the work Don undertook in the classroom at Noblesville High School, his book “Pure Genius: Building a Culture of Innovation and Taking 20% Time to the Next Level,” his tireless efforts as host of the StartEdUp Podcast, and his own efforts at entrepreneurship. It’s rare to find someone with Don’s level of passion and commitment that is combined with the courage to act and step outside of his comfort zone. In this episode Don talks about:
The origins of the StartEdUp Foundation
- How working with people like Seth Godin and J.T. McCormick attracted the attention of potential funders
- The foundations focus on creating eco systems that support student entrepreneurship
- Why he loves the first touch points when meeting with new students
- Why the biggest hurdle is also around teaching young people to change their mindset
- His love/hate relationship with organizational vision and mission statements
- His love for shiny objects and why he is blessed to have such a great support team
- His thoughts about the differences between GenZ and Millenials
- And why he decided it was time to go all in with the foundation
Don was guest number 1 on Screw the Naysayers. I’m so honoured to have him back to help us celebrate episode 150. Enjoy…
You can reach Don at:
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to hear your thoughts, comments, and stories, or just make a connection.
Screw The Naysayers- www.screwthenaysayers.com
Screw the Naysayers Episode Page: https://screwthenaysayers.com/podcast
Google Play Music: https://bit.ly/2NBgqMv