Shmuel Silverman is an inventor and patent strategist with over 165 patents & provisional publications and as an entrepreneur has co-founded and sold two companies, including one that was purchased by Intel after only 18 months in business.
Today Shmuel is the Founder and CEO of Multi-Innovation where he works with companies to develop and take advantage of having a strategic IP portfolio that protects them now, secures their space in the future and tells an effective story for investors. Shmuel also spent 11 years working for Motorola where he served as Director of Advanced Technology and Strategy.
One thing that really stands out when you speak with Shmuel is his ability to discuss complex technological topics using words and examples that just about any business person would be able to understand. There are lessons in here for any entrepreneur, but in particular those that are driven by a desire to solve important problems.
During our conversation Shmuel explains:
- Why discussions around patents should really be discussions about the business.
- The dangers of falling in love with your solution before you fully understand the problem
- Why he is thankful that IP protection actually works
- The mistake that Kodak made in not understanding the unaddressed customer needs
- Why Apple has been so successful in the Smartphone market, even though they were not first to market
- The importance and value of establishing barriers to entrance
- Why he believes that there is no such thing as a truly original idea (and why he doesn’t care)
- That most successful technology based innovations are based upon different combinations of existing ideas
- The impact he sees 5G technology having on big businesses, including self driving cars (hint: he thinks car manufacturers are wasting money trying to create smart cars)
- Why it’s not fair, or advisable, to ask lawyers business questions
- And why he’s on a mission to change the way C-level executives think about patents
We also talked about the challenges he’s faced creating a business around an idea as opposed to a specific product. Just a really fun and informative discussion. Enjoy…
You can reach Shmuel at:
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to hear your thoughts, comments, and stories, or just make a connection.
Screw The Naysayers- www.screwthenaysayers.com
Screw the Naysayers Episode Page: https://screwthenaysayers.com/podcast
Google Play Music: https://bit.ly/2NBgqMv